There are many influences that can impact and change the decisions we make in our career. It's important to be aware of what's influenced the career decisions you've made in the past so you can choose if they'll influence your decisions in the future.
|Family||• Your family helped shape your sense of identity and instil the do's and don’ts
• Expectations of family can be powerful
|• Pursuing a particular career path because a family member has done it
• Joining the family business
|Community||• If you have a strong sense of community these values may influence the type of jobs you seek||• Religious considerations|
|Gender||• Some occupations are dominated by one gender – Sometimes due to traits one particular gender has and sometimes due to society's influence||• Nursing or engineering|
|Partner||• Your partner’s influence can range from being supportive over your career choices to being dismissive
• As someone you closely share your life with they may have a large influence over what decisions you make
|• Making career choice to be closer to them
• Choosing a role without travel
|Educational experiences||• Your experiences at school will have been your earliest experiences of success or failure
• How did your educational achievements compare with your expectations?
• Your own perception of your academic success or failure can sometime have a greater influence on your career success than your actual results
|• If you feel your academic results weren’t strong, this may stop you from applying for certain jobs
• You may actually without realising, draw attention to weak results
|Role models||• Role models can be both good and bad, and you'll pick up habits from both||• Managers with strong leadership skills
• Colleagues or peers with poor time management skills
|Media||• We're all influenced by what we see in the media, and it can influence your ambitions too||• Different careers are portrayed in a certain way on documentaries and TV programmes|
|Wider society||• Changes in the political and economic landscape such as the state of the economy and changes in legislation||• Tough economic climate means more candidates in particular areas
• Abolition of retirement age
© Renovo Employment Group Ltd
This content was supplied by Renovo. Renovo is one of the UK’s leading providers of Career Management and Outplacement support. They take pride in delivering support that changes the lives of the people they work with having helped tens of thousands of people make a successful career transition over the last five years.
The inclusion of a link to an external website from Renovo should not be understood to be an endorsement of that website or the site's owners (or their products/services).